Respect of the Do Not Track
What is the Do Not Track? Technically, it's just adding an HTTP header field (the DNT).
For the user, it is to configure his web browser to clearly show his opposition to tracking on the Internet. A real political subject, the leading 'recognized' browsers have played the game by adding this functionality in their interface.
- In January 2011, Mozilla announced support for the DNT mechanism in its Firefox web browser. Microsoft Internet Explorer, Apple Safari and Opera then added it. It is supported by Google - Chrome 23 since November 23, 2012.
- In August 2012, Microsoft signaled its intention to enable the default Do Not Track option in Internet Explorer 10. After discussions including with the advertising industry, Microsoft has confirmed maintain this configuration under Windows 8 but the user can modify this value during the installation.
This is however a warning that has no concrete effect as long as advertisers and their websites do not adapt to the will of their users. And today, they are still too few to take into account ... One naturally imagine the impact for companies that monetize or use our information. Some even like Twitter, backtrack by giving up their support for the Do Not Track browser preference, giving in to advertisers.
How to enable Do Not Track?
Enable Do Not Track on Google Chrome - Open the Chrome menu (top right corner icon with three horizontal lines) and click Settings
- Scroll down the page and click on the link Show advanced settings
- In the Privacy section, check the option Send a request to «forbid tracking» during navigation. Click OK in the window that opens to validate your choice.
Enable Do Not Track on Firefox - Open the Firefox menu (top right corner icon with three horizontal lines) then click Options.
- Go to the Privacy section in the Tracking section and check Show to sites that I do not want to be tracked.
Enable Do Not Track on Edge - Go to the Options (via the '...' icon at the top right)
- Click Show advanced settings.
- Enable slider Send Do Not Track requests.
Enable Do Not Track on Internet Explorer - Open the Internet Explorer menu (top right corner gear icon) then click on Internet Options
- In the window that opens, click the Advanced tab and then scroll down to find Send Do Not Track requests to the sites you visit in Internet Explorer that you will check.
- Validate your choice by clicking OK.
Enable Do Not Track on Opera - To activate Do Not Track on Opera, open the menu Customize and control Opera (upper left corner icon) then click Settings.
- Open the Privacy and Security section and tick Send a «Prohibit Tracing» request with your browsing traffic.
- Click OK in the window that opens to validate your choice.
Enable Do Not Track on Safari - Go to the Settings (via the Safari icon at the top left).
- Click on the Privacy tab.
- Check Ask the sites not to follow me, and it's over.
Voir d'autres fonctionnalités...